Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Friend With Les: Sarah Finer of Lowry Creatives

I got married just this past September 19, 2015.  My wedding gown was a one-of-a-kind, custom made creation of Mrs. Sarah Finer owner and proprietor of Lowry Creatives.

Sarahs designs run the gamut from tiny appliques for costumes or simple but interesting pillow cases (and absolutely everything in between), all the way to the mother of all design behemoths like wedding gowns.  Sarahs work is thoughtful and personal with a very solid grounding in problem solving through fabric, not to mention that it's super duper beautiful and feminine.

Welcome to my new blog Friends With Les, a place where I get to write about all of the cool things my friends do, create, support and love; and welcome to my very first blog subject:  Sarah Finer of Lowry Creatives.

Each blog will have a quick opening of my own personal perceptions and experience with the person being featured, and will end with a list of interview questions that my subjects answer themselves.  Also, peppered throughout each entry you will find photographs of each persons workspace and other outtakes of our time together.

Without further ado, here is my interview with the lovely and super talented Mrs. Sarah Finer:




What is the name of your business and how long has it been operating?
Sarah:  I've named my business Lowry Creatives, so that it can encompass all of the various aspects/design lines that I create. My Design lines are: Zoe Kallos Couture (bridal and special occasion), Lethal Looks (costumes and dance wear), and Cherry Bombers (vintage inspired maternity gear). I like to separate my design lines with different names so people aren't as confused about what it is that I do. I consider alterations and custom interiors just to be a part of the overall name as opposed to giving them a specific name. I have worked for myself in some form or fashion since graduating high school, arguably even longer than that, as I used to create bouquets in high school at prom time in order to afford my own prom gown. I wasn't confident enough to make my own at that point. Sewing and creating has been helping me pay my bills for around 20 years. 



Who or what are two things that influence your work the most?
Sarah: I love doing bridal. I really like helping someone make their dream dress a reality and within a realistic budget. The wedding industry can really make things hard to afford, I try not to play like that - but still make it worth it for myself. I also really like finding the processes and methods of working that make my ideas and execution innovative and beautiful. My other inspirations come in finding niches that aren't represented, like my Cherry Bombers line, (the vintage inspired maternity gear). There are so many pin up and rockabilly gals out there who procreate too, and there aren’t many options for them to keep their individual style intact during pregnancy. I hope to launch that more fully in the next year.

What type of project/client is your favorite to work with?
Sarah:  My favorite clients are ones who trust my ability and my eye. They feel comfortable enough to give me a direction they want to go in, and trust me enough to make them look like a million bucks without micromanaging my process. 




What three things could you not live without (not people)?
Sarah:  Three things that I could not live without (as they pertain to the work I do), a pair or 7 of sharp scissors, straight razorblades (for ripping stitches), and fresh sketchbooks and sharp pencils. I find myself buying these things whether I am out of them or not, and the last ones, nothing feels or smells better than new paper and a freshly sharpened pencil. I even asked for a good old-fashioned desktop pencil sharpener for Christmas.

What's the biggest misconception people have about the work you do?
Sarah:  There are so many, where to start? 
One is that this is a hobby for me, I surely will want to do it for free/discount, and that since it must be a hobby that I’d also be happy to share all of my sources for products with clients, or teach them how to do my job for free because this is just a fun thing that I do instead of people realizing that this is my actual bread and butter.

Another misconception is that having something sewn from scratch is going to be cheaper than purchasing it already made and off the rack. Major nope there. Do not go to Macy's and find a dress for $300 and come to me asking me for the same thing for half the price. That just will not happen. First, I don't knock off other people's designs. It's insulting to that designer, and insulting to me. Secondly, those items are made in a factory overseas with little care, that pricing reflects that mass production discount you get. Getting something made specifically for you, custom designed with your personality and needs in mind is not at all the same thing. 
  
Someone gifts you $1M, what's the first thing you do for your business?
Sarah: I think I would move to Libertyville and open a beautiful boutique in the cute downtown up there. I am more of a small town gal than a city gaI.  I would make my brand and boutique a destination to visit. 

(Some progressive sketches Sarah made of my wedding gown while she was still working out the details):  

What are you working on today/right now?
Sarah:  This week I am working on sparkly bra/panty sets for a burlesque entertainer, draperies for a condo in the Gold Coast, a jacket for a Michael Jackson impersonator, and a military inspired jacket in black leather for a dapper gent. Also, spending some time sketching some options for a bride, sourcing some fabrics for that bride (and my bridal line), and working on my taxes. They are time consuming.

What does the next five years look like for you?
Sarah:  I used to know what my next 5 years would look like, and then I had a baby, and he's unpredictable. So we will see where everything goes. I'd like to get my bridal line together and get my maternity line together, and get the brand recognition out. Probably start with Etsy. The bridal line I would like to eventually show at the National Bridal Market weeks at the Merchandise Mart in September and in March, but booth space is pricey and I really need to invest or have an investor to get that accomplished. The maternity line, there are a few rockabilly festivals and burlesque festivals that I think would be a good fit to set a booth at and start getting the word out. Hopefully if I can get the brands moving by the time my son gets to be of school age they'll be big enough to turn into a storefront or just a larger operation overall.  

Thank you to Sarah Finer for opening up her studio to us and for giving us a sneak peek into the world of Lowry Creatives.

(An overall shot of Sarah's workspace):  

Next week, stay tuned for my next Featured Friend.  In the meantime, you can visit my instagram @LeslieKChicago to get exclusive video content of my time visiting Lowry Creatives, and to get even more exclusive content follow me on twitter @lkchicago, on youtube at https://youtu.be/yVtOmpDiIZg.  Also, find me on Facebook at Leslie Kerrigan-Leyh.




No comments:

Post a Comment